Last updated: October 4, 2023
As a vegetarian household, we often use meat substitutes in traditional dishes such as spaghetti bolognese. I’ve tried a few meat substitutes over the years, and have never been a fan of the ones made from soya.
I find them to be chewy and with an odd taste, so we have always just used Quorn instead. However, I was recently asked to try a new brand, The Meatless Farm Co, which has just launched in Sainsbury’s.
They have a recipe for a vegetarian bolognese on their website which we gave a whirl. I’m so glad we did. This is a delicious plant based alternative to use in dishes like this.
Both Sean and I really enjoyed it. Initially I was a little apprehensive about trying it, because to me the product itself looks so realistic. The 400g pack of mince really does look like meat! It’s found in the chilled section.
This product is really high in protein; just 100g contains 21.1g of protein. There are other healthy additions to the soy, such as pea and rice protein, coconut oil, and vitamins and minerals including B6 and B12. You can cook this product just like you would normally with mince. It browns in the pan and mixes well with other ingredients and flavourings.
It makes an amazing vegetarian spaghetti bolognese. I can’t tell you if it tastes like meat (I can’t remember what that tastes like). However, I can tell you it has the perfect texture for bolognese, has no awful aftertaste like some other soya products, and makes a really substantial and filling meal. This is perfect if you are a vegetarian already, or just looking to reduce your meat consumption. Perhaps you tried Quorn and didn’t like it but would still like to use a vegetarian mince alternative. I can highly recommend this product.
This vegetarian bolognese recipe comes from The Meatless Farm Co themselves, who have a lot of other lovely-looking recipes on their website too (the Chipotle Quesadillas are next on my list to try). You will need:
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 400g Meatless Farm mince
- 1 medium onion peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce*
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 cup of grated parmesan*
- 200g of fresh or dried spaghetti
- black pepper
* make sure to use vegetarian versions of these.
- Heat a saucepan over a medium heat with 2-3 tablespoons of oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook without colouring for a few minutes, then add The Meatless Farm Co mince and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook The Meatless Farm Co mince until its browned all over then stir in the tomato purée, followed by the tinned tomatoes and season to taste. Bring to a boil then let simmer for around 10 minutes – add a splash of water or vegetable stock if it is looking a bit dry.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of seasoned water to the boil and add the pasta. Stir to stop the pasta from sticking and cook for 7–10 minutes. When it is fully cooked, drain in a colander and drizzle with a little olive oil to prevent the spaghetti from sticking together.
- Serve and enjoy!
Where To Buy The Meatless Farm Co’s Products
You can buy their products in Sainsbury’s, in the chilled section. They also make meat free burgers (they would be perfect for a quick 30 minute dinner).